Friday, June 20, 2008

Commitment

I've been thinking a lot about commitment lately -- and not just because of recent developments in my personal life. A volunteer-driven, non-profit organization require a lot of commitment on the parts of the people who run it. Most of those people are volunteers, donating their time. I have a lot of respect for people who have full lives, and yet find the time to give to BMC News. I also respect people who say no when they have to. After all, it's better to be upfront than take something on knowing one does not have the time or resources to fulfill the duties. I am a volunteer with various organizations, so I know how busy life can get when one gets overcommitted. But I also know the rewards of volunteerism, especially knowing the impact of my work for a cause or in a community. Our volunteers rock, and I never hesitate to say so!

No comments: